The Water Utility System
The Town of Rossville’s water system includes two above ground storage tanks, three wells, a filter treatment facility, and a Town-wide distribution system. The above ground storage tank located at the Town Park has the capacity to hold 50,000 gallons and the storage tank located on W. Ramey St. has the capacity to hold 150,000 gallons. The three wells are located in the Town Park. Well #1 is in the pump house and is 91 feet deep. Well #2 is right behind the pump house and is 90 feet deep. Well #3 is on E. Ramey St. and is 102 feet deep. At the present time the system services 640 meters.
Rossville Town Hall
PO Box 550
17 W Main St.
Rossville, IN 46065
Phone: (765) 379-2645
Fax: (765) 379-9214
Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 12:00 pm
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Chad Colby – Rossville Waterworks Superintendent
The Town of Rossville employees annually flush hydrants to remove built up sediments in the lines. It will be posted when this will occur. Please refrain from washing your white clothes on the designated days due to possible water discoloration. Should your water become discolored during this time, please allow your cold water faucets to run until clear water appears to flush your lines. You may also experience low water pressure during this time period.
|Metered Rates Per Month
|First 2,000 gallons||$7.18|
|Next 13,000 gallons||$5.49|
|Over 15,000 gallons||$3.16|
Special Irrigation Rate
Available to customers when usage is principally for irrigation purposes and the majority of such usages is between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6 a.m. Users availing themselves to this rate are subject to curtailment of supply at any time at the request of the Town Council or their appointed agent.
|Monthly Consumption||Rate Per 1,000 Gallons|
|First 2,000 gallons||$7.18|
|Next 13,000 gallons||$5.49|
|Next 35,000 gallons||$3.16|
|Over 50,000 gallons||$2.16|
Minimum Monthly Charge
|Meter Size||Minimum Charge|
|5⁄8 – ¾ inch meter||$14.34|
|1 inch meter||$30.76|
|1 ½ inch meter||$58.16|
|2 inch meter||$87.81|
|3 inch meter||$132.67|
|4 inch meter||$195.60|
|6 inch meter||$309.13|
|5⁄8 – ¾ inch tap||$425.00 plus the cost of labor, materials, and overhead in excess of the base $425.00|
|larger than 5/8-3/4 inch tap||the actual cost of labor, materials, and overhead, but not less than $425.00|
|Returned Check Fee||$18.00|
|Reconnection Fee – First Occurrence||$25.00|
|Reconnection Fee – Second occurrence or more within the calendar year||$35.00|
|Penalty Fee||10% charged if bill remains unpaid after due date|
|See Collection Policy below.|
Fire Protection Services
|Hydrant Rental – per hydrant Public and private – per annum||$392.68|
|Sprinkler service – per annum|
|4″ connection & service||$257.60|
|10″ connection or larger||$1609.94|
|Municipal fountains per fountain – per annum||$257.60|
|Connection Fee for Water Truck (Bulk Water)|
|When a connection of service is made for a customer to obtain a bulk amount of water, i.e. loading a water truck for filling a swimming pool or loading a water truck/tank for personal use, a charge of $20.00 plus the standard per gallon rate shall be charged.|
Rossville Municipal Utilities Collection Policy
- The Rossville Municipal Utility billing is prepared and mailed on the 1st day of each month. Should the 1st day of the month fall on a weekend, the billing will then be mailed on the 1st business day following the weekend. The billing will be in the form of a postcard.
- The Rossville Municipal Utility bill is due on the 15th of each month. Should the 15th fall on a weekend, the bill is due the next business day following the weekend.
- The Rossville Municipal Utility bill shall be subject to a 10% penalty if not submitted on or before the due date.
- Services may be terminated for non-payment 30 days after the due date of the bill.
- If the customer’s bill has fallen 45 days past due, the customer will be notified by the placement of a delinquent notification (orange tag) and date due before termination.
- If there is no response received from the resident/business, a termination notification (pink tag) shall be placed and services terminated. The termination process will begin at 8:00 a.m. on the day of termination. Regardless of whether the water has been terminated, the non-payment fee shall be enforced.
- A $25.00 non-payment fee will be assessed to the account regardless of whether or not the water service is disconnected due to the placement of the termination (pink) tag. If a second occurrence or more within a calendar year occurs, the non-payment fee assessed will be $35.00.
- It is not the Town employee’s responsibility to know which door to place a delinquent notification door tag.
- If service is terminated, full payment plus the non-payment fee must be remitted before service is resumed. Service will not be restored until payment is made. Service will not be restored during non-working hours due to nonpayment.
The Town of Rossville began construction on a water distribution system in 1938. By the end of 1939, the water mains were in place and work was completed on the pump house. A 250 gpm (gallon per minute) pump was installed in the pump house. Work was also completed on the 50,000 gallon water tower. In 1962, an additional 200 gpm well was placed in Morris Gray’s cornfield.
In 1984, construction was begun on a 150,000 gallon water tower on W. Ramey and another 250 gpm well was put into service in the Town Park. This would accommodate the additional housing being added to the system. A twelve inch main also links both towers.
At the present time, the system has the ability to pump and treat 576,000 gallons per a 24 hour period. The most water ever pumped was during a draught on July 20,1988. There was 469,000 gallons pumped during the 24-hour period.
A water filter was added to the system in 1992 to improve the quality of the water.